Pages

Looking for something else? Type your search here

AFC Leopards Coach Luc Eymael Threatens To Call It Quits

Story Courtesy of Goal. AFC Leopards coach Luc Eymael has threatened to quit if some members of the Executive Committee (EC) will not stop ‘interfering with my work.’ 

In an exclusive interview with Goal, the tactician, who leaves tonight for his native Belgium, has cited the on-going transfer window as a big example where some members of the Executive Committee are interfering with his selection.

"I don’t want to be manipulated by anybody (friends of Kenya or members of EC) because if after the transfer window things don’t turn around, it will be me who will be answerable.”

“I am very uncomfortable if I am not the one making decisions. I signed a contract with the club and a section of it states very clearly that I am the one solely mandated to transact transfer issues.”

Eymael says he has received several offers from other big team across the continent and will not hesitate to jump ship if the situation does not change.

“Since my arrival, I have received lots of offers from other big teams in different countries but to be honest I have notified the EC about them (offers) and vowed to continue serving AFC Leopards.”

“But now if the situation remains the same, then I have no option than consider offers on the table.”

He further said that his efforts to sign players from outside Kenya had been frustrated by the same EC members, who have ‘restricted me to acquire new players from only Kenya.”

“The transfer window is for me and for everybody who likes football, a question of budget and quality players and not a question of nationality.

“I don't understand why EC has restrictions on the countries where I should sign players from. Some of them will even cost less money, than local players and they are good and experienced. Some local players ask for more money to sign a new contract.”

“I will not tell you the amount because it is private, but that is the truth. Restrictions that I sign players from either Kenya or East Africa does not augur well.

“What if I have spotted good players in countries such as – Ivory Coast, Gabon, Burkina Faso, Niger and Guinea – does it mean that I don’t sign them. For me, the most important thing is to improve the team by buying quality players in the transfer window.

“I have Paul Lua from Equatorial Guinea and Damien Traore from Burkina Faso both of whom are free agents. They will cost absolutely nothing to have them in the team with the exception of air tickets and salaries.

“I analyzed with my technical staff and requested for some players a long time ago. I fail to understand why it is taking too long to sign them, considering I had already initiated the contracts and negotiations.

“I have done my bit. I am also aware that sponsors are already discussing to release money to help us and I thank the sponsor for this. The sooner this is done the better.”